Powered By Blogger

Monday, June 20, 2011

Learning to share!


One of the things that shocked me most when I first moved to the USA was the lack of willingness of US coaches to share information with each other because of some falsely held belief that by sharing information we would somehow lose our competitive advantage. For those of us who have been coaching for a long time you realize that this thought pattern is not only naïve but will limit a coach's ability to reach the highest level which should be a goal for all coaches.

Over the past 16 years of coaching I have done numerous coaching courses and at one stage was qualified as a coach in four different countries. However despite this wide background in coaching education at least 80% of the knowledge I have has come from other coaches who were kind enough to share the knowledge with me. 

Over the past four years that I've been in the United States I have tried to do the same, sharing knowledge where ever I could in an effort to help other coaches in the same way I was helped. Through this process I realized quite quickly that the sharing of knowledge does not detract from your competitive advantage but rather raises your knowledge and understanding of the sport to a higher level and in doing so make you a better coach.

It is this reason the Vanguard Triathlon and its subsidiaries Vanguard Running and Vanguard Cycling are open to the sharing of knowledge. The goal of this blog is to provide information to coaches and athletes that is both informative, applicable, usable and most of all correct. The end goal of this blog is to provide you with information that allows you to become a more complete and confident coach.

I hope as you read through this blog you will ask questions of our writers that both increases your knowledge as well as test theirs so that this forum will always provide you with a place to go in order to answer the tough questions.

Justin Trolle
Dir. Vanguard Triathlon
USA Triathlon Level 3 Coach

No comments:

Post a Comment